RPZ (Residential Parking Program)
RPZ: It’s not just another acronym—it’s Ferndale’s new Residential Parking Zone policy, and it’s going to change the way people park on certain neighborhood streets (for the better!).
What is it?
Ferndale’s Residential Parking Zone (RPZ) refers to street parking on the following downtown-adjacent streets:
- Farmdale (between Albany and Troy)
- W. Saratoga (between Livernois and Allen)
- W. Troy (between Livernois and Farmdale)
- E. Breckenridge (between Woodward and Bermuda)
- E. Troy (from Woodward to Paxton)
The RPZ policy allows for 2-hour parking limits on all streets within the zone, 11 a.m. to midnight, Monday through Saturday. This includes residents, guests, and downtown patrons. Residents of each street may bypass the 2-hour limit and park overnight or for longer periods of time by using the RPZ access sticker cling.
The RPOP and RPZ policies limit parking within the zones to residents only. To assure their parking, residents must apply for a digital parking permit through the Get a Permit link. Our new digital parking permits allow residents to park on their streets without worrying about receiving a ticket or having to remember a physical sticker or hangtag being visible to parking enforcement. The goal for the digital parking permits is to create a more convenient process for the residents of the City of Ferndale, as well as create a streamlined process for the ParkFerndale staff.
- A valid driver’s license (don’t have a copy to upload? Just snap a photo with your phone.)
- A valid vehicle registration with the address that matches the RPOP/RPZ zone address.
- A bill or statement with your RPOP/RPZ address as proof of residence in the zone. If you do not have a bill or statement, you can provide an updated driver’s license with your RPOP/RPZ address.
- No outstanding fees for water bill payments, taxes, or parking tickets.
If any of these requirements are not met, the application will not be approved.
Permits Allowed Per Residence
All RPOP/RPZ residents are eligible to receive one permit per residence, which can accommodate up to two vehicles. In addition to the permit, each permit holder will receive two guest permits.
Starting in September 2021, ParkFerndale rolled out new digital guest permits as a part of a plan to create a more accessible program for both Ferndale residents and ParkFerndale employees alike. With this addition, there are now two options that residents can choose from to receive and utilize guest permits. Residents may only choose one option to utilize guest permits.
With the new digital guest permits, residents are still allotted two permits per permit holder just as with the physical hangtags. However, this option allows residents to add and change guests on their permit accounts without the worry of losing or having to replace a lost hangtag. To utilize this option, follow these steps:
- Log in to your ParkFerndale account through the “Get a Permit” tab
- Go to the tab labeled “Permits” and scroll to the bottom
- Click on the “Guest Permit”
- Enter the necessary vehicle and customer information
- Click “submit”
To edit the information on the guest permit for a new guest, simply click “manage permit” and change the necessary information to accommodate the new guest.
Prefer the physical guest permits? Don’t worry, they are still available! To receive physical guest permits, please contact the Parking Office, after your residential application has been approved, via email at email@example.com. In this email, please include your name, address, and license plate number so that the ParkFerndale employees are able to get your guest permits to you as quickly as possible.
Parking throughout the RPZ district will be enforced by Republic Parking between the hours of 11 a.m. and midnight, Monday through Saturday, except on national holidays and other non-enforcement occasions.
RPZ Petition Process
- Create a petition: If you want to start or expand resident parking in your neighborhood, you need to create a petition. Download the petition for a new Resident parking program.
- You need to meet these requirements:
-At least 65% of the households living on the streets involved in the program are required to sign in favor of the petition
-More than one street in a neighborhood needs to be included in the request or residential parking zone.
- Add Background to the Petition:
Your petition must include the neighborhood and street where you are requesting resident parking. You need to also add a description of the parking problems on those streets.
- Submit your petition to the City: Please submit your petitioning to RPZ@ferndalemi.gov and firstname.lastname@example.org
If your application is eligible, the City's Parking Department will conduct a parking traffic study of the proposed block to help inform the recommendation. The Parking Department will schedule a meeting with the applicant to review the study results and discuss next steps. The City Council will hold a Public Hearing to consider the request, parking study, and recommendations from the community and staff. If the City approves the proposal, it will take at least three months to initiate the new zone.